Position: ARTISTIC DIRECTOR
Location: Magnus Theatre Company Northwest Incorporated, Thunder Bay, ON
Magnus Theatre, the professional theatre company of Northwestern Ontario located in Thunder Bay, is now accepting applications from experienced, motivated, and enthusiastic candidates to provide inspirational artistic leadership for the Theatre, beginning in August 2016 for the 2016-17 Main Stage season. The Artistic Director reports directly to the Board of Directors. The AD will articulate a distinctive, imaginative, and compelling vision for the company in a manner consistent with the mandate, mission and goals of Magnus Theatre. As the artistic leader in the Company, and a member of the Management Team (Artistic Director and General Manager), the AD is responsible for leadership and management. The AD will represent Magnus Theatre in a professional manner; will encourage the highest level of artistic creation within the company; will actively promote and advance the concept of teamwork within the company; and at all times, serve in the best interest of Magnus Theatre Company Northwest Incorporated.
Magnus Theatre is one of the key cultural organizations in Northwestern Ontario. Celebrating its 44th season as a professional theatre, Magnus strives to inspire, enrich, engage, and entertain by bringing artists and community together to share stories through meaningful theatre experiences. Magnus is committed to creating a dynamic theatre that addresses the unique needs of our evolving community and region. The Theatre takes great pride in producing innovative professional productions that provide a world-class theatre experience. For more information, visit www.magnus.on.ca
Magnus Theatre is a regional Category E theatre and a member of the Professional Association of Canadian Theatres (PACT). Magnus Theatre has a 250 seat proscenium theatre and programming includes four core areas: MainStage (6 show main stage season), Theatre in Education (year round theatre school and annual TYA tour), New Play Development and Adult Regional Touring.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES (include but are not limited to):
A. ARTISTIC LEADERSHIP
The Artistic Director has specific responsibility for the artistic and creative programs of the Theatre including:
• Planning and implementing the seasonal artistic and creative activities of the Company, within the means of the Company, and as identified in the Company’s strategic direction.
• Selecting a season of varied plays in accordance with the mission statement of the Company.
• Casting of artists and hiring, training, supervising, evaluating and managing creative teams for whom the Artistic Director is responsible.
• Directing and overseeing productions from pre-production through rehearsal and play run to closing, ensuring a successful realization of all productions.
• Developing, implementing and overseeing production operations, policies, and procedures.
• Keeping informed of theatre trends and activities provincially, nationally, and internationally, searching for new scripts, talents, and works.
• Acting as a liaison between the Company and other city, regional, provincial and national arts organizations
• Publicly representing the Company to the media, patrons, other organizations and groups, government bodies, funding agencies, sponsors and potential sponsors.
• Establishing and overseeing publicity and promotion strategies relating to the artistic components of Magnus Theatre.
• Building strong, enduring, and ambitious relationships with local arts organizations and industry associations and other potential partners of the Theatre
B. ADMINISTRATIVE LEADERSHIP AND FUND DEVELOPMENT
The Artistic Director works collaboratively in partnership with the General Manager on all matters relating to company oversight, networking and community building ensuring the successful and thriving operation of the Theatre including:
• Providing ongoing leadership and evaluation of company operations
• Developing seasonal and long range planning.
• Developing and implementing organizational policies and procedures.
• Managing company resources.
• Managing the physical plant and facilities.
• Preparing annual budgets and grant applications for all funding bodies.
• Developing marketing and promotional strategies to support Magnus Theatre in growing sustainable patron loyalty.
• Developing and implementing fund development strategies.
• Developing and actively participating in fundraising activities.
• Developing education and outreach programs that instill a sense of community, pride, and ownership of Magnus Theatre within Thunder Bay.
• Participate in provincial and national arts activities and organizations appropriate to the interests of the Theatre
C. RELATIONSHIP TO THE BOARD OF DIRECTORS AND COMMUNITY
• Provide the Board of Directors, board committees and the General Manager regular information on issues falling under the jurisdiction of the Artistic Director.
• Work constructively and co-operatively with the Board of Directors, ensuring that information and/or proposals to be presented to the Board reflect appropriate analysis and contribute to the strategic goals of the company.
• Serve as an ex-officio member of the Board and all committees of the Board.
• Become deeply rooted in the community to build a strong network of artistic and creative relationships
• A minimum of 5 years’ experience in a strategic artistic leadership and management role
• A minimum of 5 years’ experience directing in a PACT member theatre
• A demonstrated ability and desire to translate artistic needs and values into strategies and plans
• A passion for the performing arts, and the desire to lead an innovative, thriving theatre company
• Exceptional relationship management and team building skills
• Knowledge of the not-for-profit professional arts sector
Please submit a letter of interest and CV by March 7, 2016
Via email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Subject Line: AD Search Committee
Please note: the posting will remain open until a suitable candidate is found. If you have any questions, or require clarification regarding this posting, please email email@example.com
In our desire to encourage and reflect the world and our community in all areas of our work, Magnus Theatre encourages applications from all qualified candidates.
We thank everyone who applies for their interest, but only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted. All applications will remain confidential and will be carefully reviewed and assessed by the Search Committee in accordance with the criteria established.